View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Admin

I also laughed, Andy, but let me make a few comments about what you posted.

Jim's "poser" comment, while made in frustration, was directed at someone (who doesn't post here) who claimed to be an LEO on another forum, as well as a few other people who have recently raised a few eyebrows with their decisions. I personally have very little patience for the type of person who feels the need to claim to be something that he isn't, so I can certainly understand where Jim is coming from. I don't think it was a shot at the website; just the aforementioned individuals (they know who they are).

This hobby (and these websites) are not exclusive places for those who work in law enforcement who want to restore these cars, or where those who are not LEO who own "police cars" are looked down upon. The profession and the cars are obviously forever intertwined, but you do not need to be a police officer, or even in a LEO-related profession, to be passionate about these cars or to participate in the hobby. There are many LEOs here and on the other site, and I think it's because some of them drove these cars in service, worked around them, or just are drawn to them because they are "car guys", like anyone else. We (this hobby) are getting more and more recognition lately, though, and I think it's our responsibility (each and every one of us, LEO or not) to represent the hobby appropriately. It ony takes the actions of a few to ruin it for the other 99%.

Policing is not rocket science, and just about anyone who wants to can do it. I've encouraged others, in the past, to apply and have at it, should they have the desire to do so. Neil G. is a perfect example...he decided it was something that he wanted to do, and he made it happen.

My .02.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363