View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Default N00B in Delaware, looking to buy

Hello guys (and gals)!

Although I am new here, and am very active on different Mustang forums, including Mustang Forums where I am an Administrator.

The gym teacher where my wife works saw my '66 Mustang, and commented that he had an old CHP car that he wanted to get rid of. It is a 1985 SSP notchback with a carbed 5.0L/5spd, and was a former CHP car (no idea on the unit number). Mechanically, it now has an 8.8" rear/t-lok (not sure of the gears) with rear disc brakes, tremec 5 speed (which is the good one), aftermarket suspension, recent clutch, welded sub-frame connectors, and aftermarket exhaust. The interior is just OK, with '91 seats but the headliner is falling and the dash pad is badly cracked.

The car is now a "Toyota" dark gray, but the paint is faded and peeling in spots. The right front fender has some cracked bondo (propably CHP bodywork). The original 15x7" police steel wheels were replaced with 10-hole aluminum wheels with good rubber. There isn't much in the way of documentation with the car. I didn't write down any of the data tag info, but the DSO was 6 digits, the car was originally black from Ford, there was a buck tag in the middle of the radiator bracket, and it had the trunk release to the right of the steering wheel. So I'm fairly confident it's a true SSP.

Here is a pic of the car:

Like I said, it would need to be repainted and cosmetic work to look really good. The guy is asking $4K, which is about $1K more than I think it is worth. I will use the fact that the paint is bad and the original wheels are gone to negotiate a better price, but I'm fairly certain that I will be getting this. If I do buy it, does anybody have an extra set of 85/86 wheelss they'd like to sell me? :-)

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!