Thread: SMPV Mustangs?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Mike -

No, I have not checked the roof for silver paint or both doors for the absence of silver paint. I did find silver paint on the inside of the gas door, under the gray paint. It would be GREAT if somebody uncovered a picture of an SMPV with the tag E408395, but I won't be holding my breath.

I'm not really sure how I want to proceed with my SSP now. I really do not want to own a marked police car, yet I don't want to destroy the car's value if it was a SMPV. I guess I could repaint the car silver, and if another owner wanted to they could paint the doors white and add the star/lettering to the door. Too bad it wasn't painted another color, cuz silver is boring IMO. But repainting the car would erase the best evidence that I have right now as to the car possibly being a SMPV - the layered paint.

I really enjoy driving the thing, as it has alot of character as it sits. But it needs to be repainted and fixed up. A full-blown in-service restoration is NOT what I am looking to do, cuz the way I'd do it, I'd have the black & white paint scheme applied first, and then repaint it silver to replicate the layered paint. That kind of paint job would cost more than I paid for the car. I don't know. This isn't why I bought the car. I just wanted something fun to knock around in.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!