View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 02:11 AM

Default Visited CHP Los Banos Office after 39 years

Been a while since I have been here, and been a really long while since I have been in the Los Banos area CHP office. Last Wednesday March 8 I brought my family to Los Banos for a funeral service to be held Thursday morning at the San Joaquin Valley national Cemetary near Santa Nella, in the Los Banos area. My wife's Dad (a Korean War Vet) died recently and so we went there and stayed overnight in Los Banos a short distance from the CHP office. Wednesday afternoon I stopped by with my son to visit. It has changed very little since I was last there in 1984. I walked in the public entrance and told the Officer at the counter I was an alumni. He got the Sgt. on duty to come out front and I told them my history there. They were very friendly and accommodating. They took us on a tour of the office and back area. A few changes there, like aboveground fuel storage and a portable building providing a locker room along the back fence, but otherwise, the same. I could easily imagine 0255 there where I used to park it.
Everyone I worked there has of course long since retired and many of them have died. But some that came there in the late 1980s still remember Bob Butler and what a character he was. Bob had a stroke and died a few years later.
Overall, a long overdue and enjoyable visit to a place filled with memories and personal history. Driving around there with the family, and to Santa Nella, I pointed out some of the places where my stories in this thread occurred.