View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 10:50 PM

The history on this 0204 has remained vague at best until yesterday when I was fortunate to connect with the gentleman who owned the car from the late 80's until approximately 2010.

Long story as short as I can make it: 0204 and another 82 CHP found their way into the inventory of a company that supplied vehicles to the movie industry. The story as I was told it began when both were screen used in a movie with Mark Hamill. One received quite a bit more damage than the other and when they were finished with the filming, a member of the film crew took posession of both cars. He kept the nicer one and the other went to a friend of his (allegedly a consecutive VIN to 0204 and a car that was later modified and apparently crashed and destroyed at some point).

0204 got a new door, fender and hood from fire and crash damage caused by the film. It remained black and white until the owner finally painted the doors black after getting grief from the police. The car served as a daily driver for the family for around 15 years before it was parked. The engine blew during his ownership and was replaced with the 302 from an unknown 1978 model. The rear end was replaced at least once, possibly twice.

As for the alledged movie career of 0204...as it turns out, the movie Midnight Ride, starring Mark Hamill and Micheal Dudikoff contains scenes for nearly 15 minutes of 0204! Crash damage on the car matches exactly where the passenger fender apron and radiator support are damaged in the movie. The hood, door and at least one fender have been replaced as well.

The previous owner asked me if the eye bolts were still behind the driver seat. He told me they were for supplemental seat belts for the stunt drivers. They also installed two switches for the lights on the lower driver side floor.

Screen used cars don't do much for me but, the VERY hard life this car had in-service and its life after retirement is too cool. Enjoy the pictures and movie if you care to check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midnight.jpg (10.3 KB, 53 views)