Thread: 1979 F-body CHP
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
Ray, I believe that I read somewhere that many of the 12 cars had engine replacements during the test period. Someone correct me if you know otherwise.

I had seen photos of this guy's collection on one of the F-Body boards but they wouldn't ID him for his privacy. That car was in those photos. I've wanted to build my own replica for some time now, and have the donor plastic model kit waiting to get started. LOL Can't afford the real thing!

I agree, Mike. If he did sooo much research, then go with the correct equipment.

I've seen photos of one at a CHP event twice, now. The first one was one of the original 12, IIRC. A Bullitt owner that was also a CHP officer took those photos. The other one, all of you have seen - the cars are parked side by side: SSP Mustang, '79 Camaro, '92 Camaro, Impala SS...that '79 doesn't have the push bar, though. Unit 8160 if the tag is original.

Thanks for posting the video, I like all pony cars. <ducking>

You are right about the engines.
I have a buddie who is still a trooper and has a PRISTINE and I Mean PRISTINE, 92 CHP B4C with the exact correct eq. down to actual decals and license plates, which was originally assigned to the Bishop, Death Valley, Ca. district. He really knows his Camaros and has the history on the
79's
When Jim said it was to be sold, I mentioned it to the trooper who tried to get CA. to buy it for the academy. No funds so it slipped by.
I still kick myself for not buying it!!!!!
I heard a story about Jay Leno wanting it, but can't verify this in any way!