View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Default NCSHP Sony VHS Camcorder

I learned something pretty interesting yesterday and thought I'd pass along. An episode of Real Stories of the Highway Patrol features an NCSHP SSP Mustang driven by Tooper J.M. Meade. In this segment they bounce back and forth between a dash camera video and the Trooper driving his SSP and being interviewed recalling and re-enacting his drive on the chase.

Through my contact at the NCSHP I learned they had not yet bought their first dash mounted cameras, however, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) donated approximately six (6) to twelve (12) Sony consumer-type VHS camcorders to the NCSHP. In 1991, one (1) was installed in a 1990 SSP that was equpped with a Jetsonic lightbar (most marked NCSHP's were slicktops) driven by Trooper Meade

The camcorder was creatively mounted onto a bracket, which attached to the radio mounting tree. It lasted three (3) short months in the rough riding Mustang, before the camcorder failed due to the vibration. My contact verified this with the radio engineer who managed the program and actually installed that one in Trooper Meade's SSP.

This seemed as though it would have been unusual. Has anyone ever head of a camcorder like this being installed in an SSP? Thanks.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/