View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 AM

Angry

I really don't think restoring a CHP Mustang to its in-service condition is the best choice.
1) You can't drive it on public streets/highway. That's wrong because it won’t be in-use anymore, just available at car shows in select areas.
2) It's not meant to be owned by the public, it was meant to be used by a law enforcement officers. I don't even think a retired cop should be thinking otherwise, because impersonating a police officer in California is a misdemeanor.

The only completely restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals.

So the biggest problem I see here is the black and white color scheme.
It's legal to drive the car like that, but upsets cops and they feel it is impersonating in some cases.
So being a daily driver, I almost feel it's out of the question.
Maybe an all-black with white top and c pillars would be almost suitable?

There is no room in California to own a huge barn and use it as Mustang storage. You get only one car, and that's about it. But some people have 3 or 4. I don't plan on selling my Mustang, but I do want to preserve California history and CHP. Why do you think I drive a V8 every day and am basically a dying sight these days in California.
Cash for clunkers and the local pickyourpart has removed the majority of all Foxbody mustangs.

I like my car, I have had 2 other foxbody mustangs. I know what I was looking for, and 4 eye Mustang coupe. Also having been a SSP mustang, it is helpful to have the added options for the race track. Like the floorpans, TRX suspension of course, having subframe connectors added on a long time ago to keep the body strait. Who knows really what has been done to the car in its time, it's 28 years old...

I really hear you all saying I should restore it, but not actually showing anything supporting what you’re saying. It would be worth more?? Why?
The value as far as original parts, I can see as valid point. But can be taken off and put back on?

I'd like to think if these Mustangs were still use today by Law Enforcement; They would have today's suspension upgrades...
They would have maybe a motor swap, like a 351 5.8L to keep up with high speed pursuits and maintenance chance for upgrade.

I'm not saying take away the look of the CHP Mustang. What are you guys thinking I'm doing to the car??? The car as part of its decommission was paint all white to meet the requirements to decommission it for public auction.

I have mentioned, I would like to add things:
Like the search lights, which is totally legal to use on public streets and highways. There is some limit to the wattage and use of the light when on, but not actual installment.
I would also add the antennas, and wheels.
If I added the wig-wag lights with covers on them, and the rear view mirror light thing… How could you tell, if it was just driving down the road it wasn’t a fully restored CHP Mustang???
Also if I added the equipment and rear view mirror forward light completing the look besides having a black and white color scheme… How would someone tell?
What if I painted the car black, and kept the roof and c pillars white? Would that even suffice???
When you paint it black and white, with white doors; You can’t drive it around town, and use it as a civilian car!
This is not the best option coming from me.
I really don’t feel like there is much respect coming from this audience. I think I have a valid option, and if you don’t that’s great. But I have my own. So don’t try to bully me into doing something I don’t want to do.
Its people like THAT, who got us where we are now as a country. Showing strength threw manipulation is a sign of a weak mind. If you really want to try and create some fantasy story of me being a California resident using the Arizona DMZ to avoid smog and who knows what else you’re corrupt mind thinks.
I work for a living, and pay my taxes. I have a clear record, and I’m honest and don’t steal. I do IT computer work for a living, and I earn every dollar I make. I really don’t enjoy people who have such a robotic “yes” man style. Form your own opinion?
Thanks, but I’ll just keep my Mustang to myself.
*Not happy*