View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM

The owner who experienced the problem has a 1990 CHP and contacted me via FB to warn of the issue. I told him to post it up on the SSP forums but apparently he is only a member on the other one. Here are the photos he posted with a brief quote of his description:

"(checking) behind the glovebox area where the power wiring leads to the blower motor, I located a section of that power harness that has a 2"x3" box,the wiring connection going towards the fuse panel was found to be melted and burned. I removed the remaining harness leading to the blower motor,inspected it and it appeared normal. This 2"x3" box appears to be a module for the Radio Noise Suppression Package, is it possible the windings/coils/etc within shorted to a point that it would not blow the 30a fuse?"

There are indications that this module may have been installed on CHP cars and is not a factory item. I checked my car for anything similar this morning. I can't drop the glovebox without removing the shotgun rack so I had to try my best looking behind it up from the floor. What I found is that the subject power plug still looks intact with no signs of that module. It could be that it was only installed on the later Rangr equipped cars or they did a super good job of removing it from my car and putting the power plug back to stock. Hard to tell for me as it was difficult to get a super good look up there on my car. I also just gave a cursory look at the 1992 Motor Transport Manual and couldn't find any reference to that module on any of the schematics. Probably the best advice is for everyone who owns a CHP to check that area carefully and maybe remove that module if they find it is still on their car.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/