View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Unhappy Upper Plenum removal problem & Stickers question

Hello guys,

Been here a while, quietly lurking and absorbing knowledge as I slowly finish the final engine detail on my 93 Louisiana State Police SSP. It's all coming together as I have almost all of the engine/front end/suspension components off and restored ready for reassembly.

I've Googled this question and searched it here with no real results, so I figured I would just exhibit my ignorance and ASK anyway! No doubt someone here has done this already.

I am a fairly good mechanic on the outside of an engine and I've done complete frame offs restos of a couple of cars but I got a bolt/nut problem here that is driving me bananas. I finally had to quit and walk away from it to keep my cool.

The LAST nut/stud that retains the upper plenum to the lower intake, rear, pass side against the firewall. Got the nut off the stud, but there is a "U" shaped bracket stabilizer for the PCV/pollution crossover tube there, and to save me I can't get enough give or slack to get the thing out of the way. It 's blocking final removal of the upper plenum.

I've taken several 5.0's apart in the yards on CV's and GM's, but I just don't recall this being a problem. A Mustang thing?

So I ask, is there a special trick to this? It wouldn't seem so. Do I have to release the tube from it's other mounting points on the sides of the block? I've tried prying on the thing with a pry bar but I'm amazed at how solid it is.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

About the stickers: I am trying my best to maintain/retain/document all the original factory markings and stickers on my car as it is fairly well unmolested. Some are fouled by the usual engine contaminants or exposure or age. I'd like to know how anyone else has attacked this part of a resto.

Try to save them and re-apply? Ignore them? Replicate them? Does anyone replicate these markings that anyone is aware of? Thanks again!!