View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
...Gathering Parts

As a former mechanical forensic investigator, under cover is all I've had to work with since 1989... nothing marked so this is all cool to see and play with. LT1's were ok after everyone got to understand how to drive them correctly but I liked the boxy cars as they had more character (even though the seat belt position sucked in 1990).

For reference, I did have an 87 Saleen (#231) for a short while and it was very cool and very fast but not an SSP. I had an old school Camaro (69 SS) in 1978, Corvettes too during the early 80's so sporty cars are cool in my book. So I can be taught some new tricks at 49 years of age.

In 1996 I got the bug for copcars in general when I was an instructor in auto arson and autotheft investigation work when Ford legal brought out some copcars for testing during one of those sessions. Problem was that with the prototypical work that I had in hand at the time, these cars were WAY too new for restoration so I waited for a while and collected parts during those years to build a vintage cruiser and I've built a few already. I've had eyes on the Mustangs since they are both sporty and a copcar but I still have a concern about them being too new for the public eye. My newer Diplomat still causes too much of a stir for my liking at times when driving it in town for shows so the older cruisers - '78 and '49 Fords do the trick for now.

As an aside, I did have one of the Charger prototypes out for a run in '06 and yes they are cool but too twitchy for my liking so the new Ford Interceptor will be much better in control with the same lighting fast acceleration from my current experience with the AWD twin turbo.