View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM

I've really been avoiding responding in this tread.

I may have lost my temper, but it's the sparks that started the flame that I blame.

I was trying to say this, if you suggest someone fully restore a SSP Mustang to its original condition; then you better dam well give a reason.
You're right this is my car, and I understand you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I actually want to drink the water.

Point being, don't give advice if you're not gonna bother to read anything I posted. IE: Daily Driver, IE: Question I have about driving a fully restored SSP car on the highway.
-I don't understand people quoting others saying that the only option is to do a full restore, and if you're not up to that; then sell it and get something else.
-One person, who says he's an ex-officer threating me. Whatever, you don’t see it that way, I DO.

I have decided that I'm not part of you ELITE SSP owners, yet we have the same goal. So I have decided to stay and be involved.

Yes, I do feel it's a shame to restore you're mustang to a condition not allowed on the highway. To me this defeats a lot of pupas. The overall goal is to preserve these cars for people to see.

Quote:
The only completely restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals.
This isn't my opinion, but more of an observation of the law.

I did a bunch of research on the law about ex-police interceptors and paint schemes and laws and all that to help me understand my options (being someone who wants to drive their SSP and show it off to everyone and not just a select few/or can be sued a daily driver).
So what I’ve come up with is that you can paint your car black with a white top and c-pillars. The cops don't mind this, just as long as you don't have a white door. As I’m sure you all have seen the Geek Squad driving around in the black/white scheme and white doors. The police have hassled the Geek Squad about this for a few years since they were doing it. Although not illegal, the Geek Squad paints their doors black now to avoid prosecution.
So with that said, and it being a vehicle used daily and regularly; I use that as my starting point.
So if it's painted like above, and you decide you have really been working hard on your SSP and want to go to a show where other SSP cars are; what is your option?
Idea being: A white vinyl door covers with a California Highway Patrol logo.
Drive to the car show, apply decal (very easy) and before leaving the car show, remove the decal.
I think this is perfectly acceptable.

I'll see if there is any legit questions people had on this subject, sorry if I didn't respond. I just lost interest for a few weeks when I read some peoples comments, and a build up of people commenting with no interest in my topic other then to derail things. I should be used to it by now, but I guess I'm only human.