View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP959(R) View Post
Well, that's what I was trying to indirectly get to.

When I started with the state, every Trooper had to be LEADS certified in case there was no dispatcher and you had to 'sit desk'. Using LEADS, NCIC, etc for non-official use is a major violation and miss use could result in the loss of your terminal. I don't know anything about agencies running something for a small fee. OSP was overly anal about everything. They'd probably put someone in jail for accepting a fee at the post to run something.

I think the important point here is, I don't want someone to get the idea that they can get their buddy Joe Cop to run something, and then have that officer get in a jamb trying to help someone out.

I have to admit though, if I wasn't retired, I'd be having a field day doing my 'own' research.
Same here....we had to originally be FCIC/NCIC certified (with it I worked OT in the Comm Center when they were extremely short) and misuse was a big no-no. Eventually, everyone had to be certified when we went to laptops in the cars.

Many state DMVs will run them for a fee...NOT individual officers or offices. We did do inspections for compliance and collect fees ($8 "fix-it" tickets), but we'd only fill out the form and send them to the courthouse to take care of the fines.

Here is a link to FL's form, as an example (with their fee schedule):

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/85054.pdf

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363