Thread: 1982 CHP #0327
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Default 0327 New Speakers and Instrument Cluster R&R

Today 0327 got the new dash speakers installed and the instrument cluster removed, renewed, and replaced.

The plan for the dash speakers is to connect them to the output of the Regency Scanner (working), which then will simulate radio traffic (I have no plans to try to get the two-way radio working). I also want to splice that output to the radio input of the CC1, fingers crossed, so it can go to the outside speaker. But at a minimum there will be simulated radio traffic inside the car.

I took the instrument cluster out, then on my workbench took it apart, cleaned everything, polished the input connector contacts and the panel bulb contacts. I also removed 35 years of dust from it and the dash area where it mounts. Two bulbs were replaced.

There is a fair amount of rust in some of these areas. When 0327 was in Washington State it apparently sat outside for extended periods and water got inside and stayed there. So many of those steel interior parts, under the dash, fasteners, support brackets, etc. were unprotected steel. chp1982 did a great job cleaning up mold and the carpet. As I take things apart and get deeper in I find rust. Everything is functional, and a lot of it you don't see when every thing is together, but I figure while it is apart it can be mitigated.

I use a product called "CorrosionX". I use it on nuts and bolts that are rusted before I put them back together, or as a wipe down treatment of just about any metal surface that has small rust pits or just needs a polishing. I also put some on a Q-tip and dab it on rusted screw heads, washers, clips, just about anything that has been attacked by rust. Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. It gives a nice patina, removes the rust color, and leaves a protective film. Got it on Amazon. Does a great job imo. Even for things I am not actually taking it apart, I use it just to make it look better.

I have two pics below showing dash screws and clips before and after using this material. The light isn't very good as it is getting dark but you can see some difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg New Speaker Drivers Side.jpeg (226.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg CorrosionX.jpeg (53.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg Dash before.jpeg (383.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg Dash after.jpeg (408.1 KB, 20 views)