View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELSON View Post
Jim. In light of the up coming show in Columbus. Could you let us know what the Ohio Laws are regarding the ssp that are coming from out of state. What may apply in my state may not apply in Ohio. That way we don't have any issues when we travel to the show.

THANKS, Chris

Unless you are LEO and authorized to possess the insignia and lights etc. it is best to:

A. make sure everything is covered up and non-functional.
make sure everything is covered up and non-functional.

B. Trailer your car to the show grounds.

C. If you have a letter of authorization from your vehicles agency I
would have it in your possession PRIOR to going to the show.

Wearing clothing, guns, or any other items that would lead someone to think you are LEO is another no-no, when combined with driving the restored cop car. The fact that you may legally possess a CCW permit will still not mesh well if you are also driving a marked police car wearing a STATE POLICE hat. Remember that police officers deal with the "totality of the circumstances". Having a CCW by itself doesn't lead me to believe you are personating a cop, however driving a cop car with functional lights, pulled over on the interstate helping a disabled motorist, wearing a State Police hat, with a gun on, is a totally different circumstance. If your on the road with your restored cop car, and you see a broke down motorist, drive on. The local police departments DO NOT want or need your assistance with issues such as these.

Ohio State Troopers are known to be plentiful and very strict so watch your speed on any of our interstates. Have your license, registration, insurance card, your trailer plates current, and take care of any outstanding warrants prior to leaving your home state. I also carry my confirmation letter for the show with me to prove I am going to a show.

You can reference any laws you may want to read up on at the Ohio Attorney General website. For those of you that feel compelled to carry a firearm Ohio's laws are very specific about where you can and cannot carry legally.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP