View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10608 View Post
Neat finds !
Even the mouse nest lol

To me, I don't think those items are factory daily things they did in the cars on the assembly line. I believe there was an assembly person ( s ) that liked leaving something in the cars that he assembled as a personal tag.

The paint lid from Mike's SSP, CHiPs no way the factory would have done that ! Even written as the series title lettering. Caps and lower case " i -s "
And a paint can lid ? Ford would have had special plates or something that were all the same AND in every car in the same place.

Why would they leave stuff in so many different places on different things ? I think some assembly person ( s ) did that as a personalized statement for building that car. lol Maybe a " note " to themselves as it went through the assembly line, then they left it in as a joke etc. or something. I have done that with customer's cars, vans, signs etc when I have lettered them. Put a joke on the bumper or under the hood so someday when he finds it he gets a good laugh, AND how long it took to find it lol

Cool stuff though ! It would be neat to find those responsible and say " HEY... look what we found after all of these years " lolol

Bet they would get a good laugh out of it.
Indeed some folks at the factory DID do some unorthodox things John. Witness the agency name that appears next to the DSO # on my buck tag.

I've heard that these metal tags and the paint lids substitutes were official and meant to be attached to car bodies to identify them as special paint units (unique fleet color(s) and/or multi-tones) which required different handling in the paint department. They ended up inside cars along with many other items such as build sheets (we should all be so lucky!), QA cards and just plain trash because the line workers were too lazy to throw dispose of them properly and/or thought it was a pretty funny thing to do.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/