View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Default Greetings from a strange world

Hi to everyone...I am happy to find a forum dedicated to these special cars. I have wanted a 5.0 notchback since I was in high school back in the mid to late 1980s. When I went to college in 1989 in North Carolina (driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport I had just restored) I first started seeing state troopers in Mustangs and thought they were fantastic. I was even pulled over by a South Carolina State Trooper driving an SSP in 1992 (then driving a 1983 944). By the mid-1990s I was searching for SSPs at auction but never bought one.

In 1995 I decided to become a professional auto technician, and was fortunate enough to apprentice under three national finalist Saab master techs at the same time. I soon acquired my first Saab 900 turbo and had it tweaked to hang with stock 5.0 Mustangs and M3s. After working at several Saab dealers, I eventually opened my own Saab shop with one of the three master techs I had started with, and we still own it today. I currently own 8 Saabs, all turbos, including one I had searched for my entire career and only found last year...my black 1991 SPG (one of 254 made, one of 109 in black).

Despite my affection (affliction?) for Saabs, I have always had a soft spot for notchback 5.0 Mustangs. I look forward to finding a nice SSP one day and sharing it with my family (my wife also likes Fox body Mustangs, so that's an easy sell). I have a lot of learning to do...great site you've got here.