View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures. We will get your car added to our VIN Project shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWaterfowler View Post
I want to hear your opinions on this.
Be careful what you ask for! IMO, a SSP Mustang makes for an OK daily driver (not good or even great). Personally, I like my DD to have airbags, ABS, and other safety features found on modern automobiles. That being said, I know some hot rod car-guys who regularly drive some really neat, old cars. But there are risks in doing that: accidents (destroying not only the car but possibly hurting the occupants), damage, theft, ect. Since you already own your 84 and want to drive it, I suggest the following:
  • Paint - since you live in California, do NOT paint the roof and doors white with a black body. You will get stopped and the hassle is not worth it. A member here in California repainted his 85 CHP in black with a white roof - it looked great, it honored the car's history, and he avoided getting in trouble with the police.
  • CHP Equipment - You can add the antennae and lights, but the lights must be covered at all times. I keep mine disconnected too while driving, should I have to answer any questions on the side of the road after being stopped. Police markings MUST be covered up or removed while driving.
  • Engine - You can have hood clearance issues with the 351, depending on the parts selection. There are so many choices for building a nice 5.0L that you should probably stick with that. I wouldn't go crazy with mods; keep things simple.
  • Suspension - The factory 87-up 4-lug front brakes are an upgrade in performance, but you will have to run newer style wheels. My 1st 85 SSP has them, in addition to 93 Cobra disk brakes. The car stops nicely compared to the OEM set-up, but I must use 10-hole wheels (painted black). IMO, a 5-lug swap isn't worth it. The brakes are going to lock up in a panic stop regardless, so larger aftermarket brakes would only be worth it if you are racing the car and are concerned about brake fade.

The above comments are just suggestions for your car, and the only reason I offered them up is because you asked. These cars were pushed hard while in-service, so on a daily driver you really don't have to go crazy with mods.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!