View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Default 1987 WSP SSP Mustang (710 WSP) - Unit #16-7-014

I purchased my 87 WSP SSP in 2006. Was my "first" SSP and always had planned on restoring it when the funding/time was right.

Today, I drove the car down to The Fox Shoppe (http://thefoxshoppe.com/) in Portland, OR. Jimmy (owner) works wonders on the cars in his shop and is totally committed to fox bodies. Saw his work in April when I bought the 85 CHP from him and knew I'd be in good hands. Really nice guy to boot.

When I arrived, I saw HK500's GSP car out front. Jimmy chuckled and said that he'd be doing 2 resto jobs at the same time - first time he's had 2 SSPs in for paint at once. (Which, by the way - HK500's car is sweet looking!)

My car is affectionately named "Ugly Betty" as it had a hideous orange hood when I first bought it and had picked it up around the time that the TV show was on the air - name seemed to fit.

The car has 105K original miles and has full documentation from the WSP. Many may remember that this car was reunited with it's trooper a few years ago. And, it's one of the few SSPs that had a full Setina partition cage in it while in-service.

Jimmy and his crew will be giving it a full paint job, will be working to restore the door/window seals and refinishing the quarter windows. The car lives up to it's namesake - it's UGLY right now. Drives great, but looks like heck.

I'll post up pics of it as the build progresses. We think it will be punched out in the next 3-4 weeks (depending on how much time it takes).

Sadly (for me), once I get the car done, I will be prepping it for sale. I love this car. But, have too many - and it's time for me to pass the torch along to the next person. More on that later. I figured I owe Betty the decency of fixing her up before we part ways. She deserves it given the life she's led up until now.

Stay tuned...

Pics will be posted at:
http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...SP-Ugly-Betty/

Dropoff at the shop:

Before spotlight/side moldings were removed: