Thread: 1979 F-body CHP
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
There's an HB Halicki sequel to Gone In 60 Seconds that has mock ups of those '79 Camaros and also some Firebirds as CHP pursuit cars.
Knowing what little I know about HB Halicki, I've always believed that the Camaros in The Junkman were actual CHP cars. The plate numbers don't jive, but too many details seem right on them for them to be knock offs. I don't know if they were already out of service or in service and borrowed in some way or if he just purchased that particular bunch from the state. Although the 80/81'ish time frame sort of feels like they would have been coming out of service. I believe that the Firebird was a camera car and was the only one of the bunch to have a black interior, and I think the camera was visible during a couple of shots. Similar to 1-Baker-11 in the original movie. I know that many of the older squad cars in the original appear to have been purchased from the departments intact or rebuilt exactly. Some of the newer cars were loaners called in on favors that were not supposed to be damaged. He was an amazing guy with a lot of contacts and friends and he used a lot of favors.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green