Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustang Tech (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front end paint (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1456)

litsnsirn 11-05-2008 07:33 AM

Front end paint

I am finally taking the car to the body shop this weekend. Is there a paint guide for the front end? I'd like to know what is supposed to be eggshell black and what is supposed to be regular black. All the paint on my car is dull, so it is hard to tell, but it looks like the the grill and headlight bucket area is all the same color on my car, is that right?

Also, From most of the pics it looks like the C-pillar fill panels(fake vents) are white. I was able to catch the end of the paint with my nail and chip off the layers. It looks like mine are from the car and besides the primer, it looks like they were both black, then white, then yellow, so I am thinking that they should be white.

jarhed123 11-05-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litsnsirn (Post 10793)
...C-pillar fill panels(fake vents) are white. I was able to catch the end of the paint with my nail and chip off the layers. It looks like mine are from the car and besides the primer, it looks like they were both black, then white, then yellow, so I am thinking that they should be white.

The sail panels are the color of the roof up till 1985. In the case of CHP they are white. The remainder in black is code 1C.

chp1982 11-05-2008 03:40 PM

If you need pictures of any specific areas, let me know. Original paint on mine. I would love to see some pictures of the resto.

litsnsirn 11-05-2008 06:56 PM

I will probably try and shoot some pics on the way north. I need to know if the grill and headlight surround areas are eggshell. When the CHP painted the car, it looks like they masked off that area, but the exposed black parts of my car are weathered and chalky, so I cant tell if they are originally eggshell, or should be the basic black.

chp1982 11-05-2008 08:33 PM

The headlight bezels and grill on mine are just the eggshell, as you call it, not painted the black of the body.

If you are able to document your restoration and post it that would be a great help.

ImEvil1 11-05-2008 10:07 PM

+1. Grille and headlight areas should be black, but not gloss (1C) black. SEM trim paint looks nice.

litsnsirn 11-07-2008 11:15 AM

Mike, as long as I am thinking of it, could I get you to look up the part number for the front license plate bracket? I'd like to see if any of the parts houses has one.

ImEvil1 11-07-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litsnsirn (Post 10822)
Mike, as long as I am thinking of it, could I get you to look up the part number for the front license plate bracket? I'd like to see if any of the parts houses has one.

Sure...I'll take a look tonight when I get home. IIRC though, they are not out there any longer. I think the last one I found was on eBay.

litsnsirn 11-07-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 10823)
Sure...I'll take a look tonight when I get home. IIRC though, they are not out there any longer. I think the last one I found was on eBay.

Yeah, I figured that. I've been looking for a while and haven't seen one come up. It is like rear bumper covers, when you see them the seller won't ship and they are in rural Idaho, or somewhere similarly unobtainable to me...

ImEvil1 11-07-2008 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The part number is D9ZZ-17A385-A for the '82, replaced in '83 with E3ZZ-17A385-A.

I just checked and there appears to be a bunch of the older, D9ZZ. I'm glad you asked me to look, because I've been using the '83 number and haven't ever found any online. There is one listed at Green Sales for the E3ZZ, but I cut and pasted the search for the D9 below.

Let me know what you end up finding price-wise....I still need one more. :)