Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustang Tech (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   died on me and wont fire up? (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5108)

calimustang 07-23-2013 12:18 AM

died on me and wont fire up?

Hey guys,

I'll need your feedback on this.. i was driving on I-4 into Sanford, FL exit and bam.. it went dead on me like no power at all and tach went 0 and pulled over and can't fire her up at all, tried spark plug trick from coil to the plug, wont spark at all when i cranked her, she cranks but not firing up. Had it towed to home, swapped coil, no luck. would it be TFI?

calimustang 07-23-2013 12:22 AM

can smell fuel from exhausts... so the fuel pump is fine.

28HopUp 07-23-2013 08:53 AM

Please clarify - Are you getting no spark by grounding a plug wire or are you grounding the coil itself? (don't shock yourself) If there is spark from the coil, then the issue is with the distributor. If the new coil is not arcing, then you need to check the coil connection to see if something is loose. Let us know how you make out...

calimustang 07-23-2013 10:30 AM

coil was grounded, i had an spark plug connected to the end of plug wire from the coil and put it on top of upper intake and tried to crank it, no spark at all. Hope that answers your question.

Yeah i shocked myself in 1998, never will repeat the mistake so i do know what you are talking about, it sure wasn't pleasant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 41602)
Please clarify - Are you getting no spark by grounding a plug wire or are you grounding the coil itself? (don't shock yourself) If there is spark from the coil, then the issue is with the distributor. If the new coil is not arcing, then you need to check the coil connection to see if something is loose. Let us know how you make out...

28HopUp 07-23-2013 10:52 AM

With nothing coming from the coil, it doesn't sound like anything related to the distributor. However, I wonder if the aluminum upper intake is a good conductive ground for testing purposes? I prefer to use some type of unpainted body contact point. Just a thought. Double check the connection to the coil via the electrical plug to see if it looks OK (nothing loose or burnt). I was going to suggest that it could be a problem with the ignition key, but you said that the fuel pump is priming and the car is cranking over. Still, it might not be a bad idea to use a circuit tester to see if you have power running to the coil.

28HopUp 07-23-2013 12:23 PM

I was talking with the guy working on my SMPV, and asked him about your issue. Kris said that it could be a bad TFI module. Hope you can pin down the cause...

mac88chp 07-24-2013 11:53 AM

I vote bad TFI module too, sounds just like what happened to me on my old '89 'vert.

calimustang 07-25-2013 02:06 PM

thanks! where do i get the motorcraft TFI?

28HopUp 07-25-2013 02:28 PM

Not sure about finding a Ford-made part. I found plenty of listings for Accel, MSD, and Mallory though.