Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bought an 86 SSP! (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=434)

ChrisL 06-22-2007 12:24 PM

Bought an 86 SSP!

I posted over at SSPmustang.org, but someone recommended I post here as well. I picked up an 86 ex-dps car yesterday, needs a good bit of work but it is super solid and has one of the buck tags as well as the door tag still. I have a couple questions about it though...

It has a console in it, but the TX DPS cars (and all ssps) should have been console delete correct? Also, the bottom part of the dash (under the radio) is broken off. I'm curious if that is where a radio or scanner might have been mounted, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any info or pictures of how a DPS interior would have been outfitted? I have not found any 85-86 DPS interior pictures for reference.

Also, how can I find out what unit number the car was?

As soon as I pick the car up I'll post some pictures.

And if anyone has a line on a very nice to mint red '85-86 interior I'd be very interested

86NeSSP 06-22-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisL (Post 3099)
I posted over at SSPmustang.org, but someone recommended I post here as well. I picked up an 86 ex-dps car yesterday, needs a good bit of work but it is super solid and has one of the buck tags as well as the door tag still. I have a couple questions about it though...

It has a console in it, but the TX DPS cars (and all ssps) should have been console delete correct? Also, the bottom part of the dash (under the radio) is broken off. I'm curious if that is where a radio or scanner might have been mounted, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any info or pictures of how a DPS interior would have been outfitted? I have not found any 85-86 DPS interior pictures for reference.

Also, how can I find out what unit number the car was?

As soon as I pick the car up I'll post some pictures.

And if anyone has a line on a very nice to mint red '85-86 interior I'd be very interested

Yes, it should have a console delete...
It should be outfitted very much like this:

Agency Info TEXAS

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...s/84DPSint.jpg

Matt

ChrisL 06-22-2007 12:49 PM

Very cool, that helps a bit. I'm a little wet behind the ears as far as the police stuff goes, so I have quite a bit of research to do on all of the different police equipment I need. There is a two button audiovox controller (I have no idea what it is) attached just to the right of the steering column on the dash panel, is that left-over dps equipment?

86NeSSP 06-22-2007 12:49 PM

here's also a few exterior photos of 86 Texas DPS SSP's courtesy of Roman Collins site.

1986 Texas DPS SSP

ChrisL 06-22-2007 12:52 PM

And it's hard to tell, but it looks like the dash might actually be cut-out under the factory radio location... so maybe the car is not incorrect....

ImEvil1 06-22-2007 01:40 PM

Congrats on the purchase Chris. :thumbsup:

I can take some photos of the '83 DPS car I'm working on...but it'd be good if you can post up some pics, also. The ashtray that mounts below the dash probably would have been removed, but that didn't involve cutting the dash up. I'd bet that the Audiovox deal mounted in the car had nothing to do with DPS.

Tony S. (TxDPS over or .org) or Tom M. (1989 Tx DPS SSP here) can probably help with figuring out your unit number. I'm still working on that for mine (did a title search, but the records that far back have been purged by the state).

There's some good info on the Texas Resto Doc, but it's definitely a work-in-progress. Thanks for posting the link, Matt.

ChrisL 06-22-2007 01:47 PM

Very cool, I'll get in touch with them. It looks like it should be the same SHO-ME's mounted on the rear deck, does that sound right? Any idea what antenna should have been mounted on the trunk deck (pass side)? The hole is still there

86NeSSP 06-22-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisL (Post 3107)
Very cool, I'll get in touch with them. It looks like it should be the same SHO-ME's mounted on the rear deck, does that sound right? Any idea what antenna should have been mounted on the trunk deck (pass side)? The hole is still there

Decible Products DB702

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_814_full.jpg

I think Mike has it in the restoration doc as well.

Looks exactly like this as this is the DB702 in black and not the white that was found on the mustangs. there was a mix of black as well.

Matt

ChrisL 06-22-2007 02:00 PM

Awesome, i saw that was listed in the resto doc on the later cars, wasn't sure if it was the same for the earlier stuff. Cool, I'm getting a list together here rather quickly

86NeSSP 06-22-2007 02:28 PM

those antenna bases are hard to find now as they haven't been made in a long time. There might be some one that has an extra one lying around.

Matt