Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustang Tech (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   > SSP VIN Research < (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3239)

ImEvil1 03-16-2011 05:04 PM

> SSP VIN Research <

Due to discussions in the past on this subject, as well as recently in the thread below:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...?t=3140&page=2

I'd like to put a call out there for anyone who has done VIN research for a specific agency/year and wants to share.

I'm not trying to put together a "registry", as I don't really think it's feasible to do so. I would, however, like to work towards a page that shows VIN ranges for a particular order, backed up by pics of door tags, buck tags, build sheets, special parts lists, or other documentation.

This could he helpful for someone who is trying to figure out what they have, as well as additional documentation for those who do already know or may be looking for more info.

FoxChassis has already volunteered to assist by providing some of his years worth of VIN compiling, so this has the potential to be something really special.

========== ========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

28HopUp 03-17-2011 04:53 PM

Sounds great Mike - way to go! I'm not sure that I'd be of any help to you or not, but I'll at least encourage your efforts! :D

FoxChassis 03-17-2011 08:04 PM

Mike now has lists of consecutive (3 or more) 5.0L coupe VINs for '82 through '86 model years. Working on '87+ now.

28HopUp 03-18-2011 10:28 AM

Mike, have you figured out how you will be making the data accessible? I know the problem with the other SSP VIN Registry is the need to keep the information current and correct. The vBulletin software has a provision for creating a TimeSlip Database for forums that have a racing section. I wonder if something like that VB feature could be used in this situation?

ImEvil1 03-18-2011 11:57 AM

We're definitely due for a software update, but I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Mick sent me the data in .txt format, and I'll be going through the door data tags, build sheets, and other forms of documentation for each order number (both what he sent, and what we have) to correlate with the VINs.

What I'm envisioning is a list of VINs, organized by year, with hyperlinks on the VINs we have info on relating to agency usage, DSO number, etc. This will only be for those cars we've verified.

Guys, I know many of you have pics of cars in junkyards, bucktags from wrecks, or have done specific research for VINs from a specific agency. If so, please post them up in this thread so we can add those into the process.

Bill, I think we can edit the page (keep it updated) from what gets posted in here and verified.

MOstang 03-18-2011 01:27 PM

Mike - I'm in favor of anything we can do to further the research on SSPs. Documenting what we find is a big part of that effort to ensure it doesn't become lost or can't be shared. Not sure how much I can help but am happy to do so wherever I can add value. I do have a little more than 1/3 of the Minnesota SSP VINs identified. Those have been shared and posted on .Org. I did't really notice if the Michigan VINs have been posted but if not I'll be sharing those and happy to with you as well.

ImEvil1 03-18-2011 03:35 PM

Thanks, Mike. Feel free to post up any of the VINs you have identified in this thread.

Mick is working his magic on the aero cars now, so we are starting with the 4 eyed variety.

NoDrama43 03-19-2011 11:22 AM

Mike,

I have some info for this project but will need to scan handwritten documents. I have all the 89 Michigan vins, and also a list of Oregon, Washington, Florida, California, Idaho, Missouri and probably a few others state/years I have forgotten about. I will need to scan some docs and email it all to you. I think some of it you may have already.

ImEvil1 03-19-2011 12:14 PM

Jim,

I have the same FL and CA stuff that you do, plus the stuff I collected when I went to the auctions in FL for some additional FHP info. I do not have any of the rest of what you mentioned.

Don't spend too much time scanning....I'm thinking as long as a VIN range can be verified via build/buck/door tag info, we are good.

Bill,

That's one of the problems....but the one over there is impossible to keep current because of the extra info listed on it. The data we are going to put together will never change (unless we find errors), it will just need to be added to as more info and new cars are discovered and verified.

FoxChassis 03-22-2011 12:20 AM

First year aero is done and sent!