Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fan hitting shourd (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5885)

05pwrstrk 01-15-2015 12:48 PM

fan hitting shourd

Hey all.

I need a little help here. I installed a new Anchor Industries tranny mount and some convertible motor mounts I bought off of a member here. They are installed. My fan is now hitting my shroud. I've read recently the convertible motor mounts make the engine sit lower. Any suggestions? Should I get rid of the convertible mounts and go polyurethane? What do you all use for motor mounts?

28HopUp 01-15-2015 03:34 PM

Can't you still purchase stock engine mounts? (I haven't tried myself in a long time). Poly bushings are going to transfer engine vibrations to the chassis. If you are staying stock with the motor, then stock mounts should be fine and you should avoid the fan interference problem you are having now.

05pwrstrk 01-15-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 49106)
Can't you still purchase stock engine mounts? (I haven't tried myself in a long time). Poly bushings are going to transfer engine vibrations to the chassis. If you are staying stock with the motor, then stock mounts should be fine and you should avoid the fan interference problem you are having now.

I'm staying stock. She will be back to in service condition. I'm not a racer, no donuts in the parking lot for me just regular driving here and there. I only picked up the convertible mounts because I read there better than the stock ones. Any opinions on that? I've also heard what you were saying about the vibrations from the polyurethane.

ImEvil1 01-15-2015 10:05 PM

The convertible mounts make it about 1/2 inch lower, but you shouldn't have clearance issues. What kind of shape is your core support in?

05pwrstrk 01-16-2015 01:44 PM

Yup I had issues. I did read about the radiator core support being bent up so I did look at mine and I felt it looked fine. This all began after the install of the new tranny mount. It dipped the front of the engine just enough to hit the fan.

05pwrstrk 01-16-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 49106)
Can't you still purchase stock engine mounts? (I haven't tried myself in a long time).

I looked high and low for some NOS engine mounts but was unsuccessful.

05pwrstrk 01-16-2015 02:32 PM

So anyways the crisis has been averted with some reading on the ole net and also a call out to LMR. It was recommended to me to to pick up some washers and put them in between the motor mount and the frame mount. The washers I used were Grade 8 "extra thick". Two added 3/8" which brought the front of the engine up which in turn gave me about 1/4" of space in between the fan and the shroud. We'll see how this goes.

SPiRiT R/T 01-20-2015 06:58 PM

Last time I looked, National Parts Depot had NOS Ford mounts.

05pwrstrk 01-20-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPiRiT R/T (Post 49157)
Last time I looked, National Parts Depot had NOS Ford mounts.

No NOS found. They had "factory style" only.

1989 Tx DPS SSP 01-22-2015 11:33 AM

It also could be that the aftermarket one you tried to use was a little taller than the factory one. I had the same problem with an Energy Suspension one and went and bought an NOS one.

Tom