Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustangs For Sale (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1986 Idaho State Police SSP (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3703)

dial911 09-05-2011 11:14 PM

1986 Idaho State Police SSP

I have a 1986 Idaho State Police Mustang SSP. This one was a rare one, it's all black. It had a lightbar, GE Police radio and switchbox. They car came with all of that but not installed. I do have ithem though. It has 60K miles. This came straight from a college that got it untouched from the State Police. I just acquired it and it's still complete and unmolested. It still has the police roll bar and police wheels. I would like to sell it but it won't be cheap. Let me now if there is any interest. I still need to clean it up as it had a long truck ride to Ohio.

edit: asking price is 5500.00 per the OP via email.

ImEvil1 09-05-2011 11:24 PM

Those wheels aren't correct.

FS ads here require a price, so please add that to this thread. I moved it to the FS section for you.

28HopUp 09-05-2011 11:42 PM

This gentleman recently posted a "wanted" ad on another forum, where he was looking to find an Idaho SSP -

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJHARTIDSSP

Help - need to find a true Idaho "ISP" SSP Mustang to restore

I am trying to locate in association with the Idaho State Police a 1983-199x SSP Mustang used by them. They have a historical collection of vehicles in their inventory and they visit car shows to work with youth in our state. They did not retain a SSP Mustang and I would like to locate one they can restore and add to their collection. Can anyone help me in my quest? How can I tell its a Idaho vehicle? Someone at a car show said I need to take the headlight off? I appreciate any leads or help in acquiring this vehicle for a worthy cause. The ISP will paint black and white and get it equipped as it was in the 80's. A Thousand Thanks - Steve in Idaho - let me know via email Hartco@ida.net

GSPI 09-05-2011 11:57 PM

You need me to come over and help you out?

NoDrama43 09-06-2011 03:12 PM

Brett,

welcome and thanks for the pictures of the roll bar setup. I will give you a call later this evening.

GSPI 09-06-2011 03:19 PM

If you need me to put a set of eyes on it, I can do that as I'm pretty sure I know where the car is at.

gixxer1 09-06-2011 04:57 PM

pmed ya!

NoDrama43 09-06-2011 10:54 PM

talked to the seller this evening. He listed it here as he doesn't want it to get hacked or clowned and he is hoping it gets a good home and restoration. VIN is very close to my 86 ISP.

appears to be a nice one with a decent price.

GLWS

NoDrama43 09-06-2011 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
In looking at the pics the car is door moulding delete which is correct for Idaho SSP cars. One antenna in center of trunk and only one spotlight. Here are some pictures of the car.

GSPI 09-06-2011 11:26 PM

That looks to be the correct Setina Roll bar system That Idaho used. The indent on the transmission tunnel also confirms the shotgun mounting too.

ImEvil1 09-06-2011 11:32 PM

Jim,

Thanks for posting up the pics....I accidentally deleted them when I closed the thread.

Brett,

Do you have a pic of the door tag you can post?

Rhino 09-07-2011 12:12 AM

Definitely a Setina setup. New padding can be ordered for around $35 if anyone snags this.

Setina remade a batch of bars for all our WSP Mustangs - and nice to see this one still has it.

GLWS

NoDrama43 09-07-2011 08:35 AM

Ryan can you get me a contact name reference the padding? I will need it for 5 cars of mine that should have rollbars. I have the new bar complete I got from you but will need several more. Any possibility they would make another batch of them?

GSPI 09-07-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDrama43 (Post 29312)
Ryan can you get me a contact name reference the padding? I will need it for 5 cars of mine that should have rollbars. I have the new bar complete I got from you but will need several more. Any possibility they would make another batch of them?

Jim,

I'm having that conversation with Setina right now so let me see what I can come up with too.

Greg

NoDrama43 09-07-2011 09:40 AM

thanks greg, I have an NOS mustang bar still in the box from Setina so if they don't want to make any more I will have my chassis guy make me four more. I will however need to get the foam material from Setina.

GSPI 09-07-2011 09:57 AM

They are not planning on making anymore but I was trying to get dimensions and drawings for our reference.

I know that I will need one too ;)

NoDrama43 09-07-2011 11:26 AM

I have a guy about 10 minutes away that can copy the new one I have to a t. He builds race car chassis etc and does excellent work.

Rhino 09-07-2011 11:50 AM

Sorry this is off-topic: Our local group went to the track day for SPS and Setina was there. One of our members chatted with the rep and they said they "might" do another batch if we had 10 or more on order. They made 10 the last go round about 5 years ago. I will keep tabs and post info once we have more info and can work our contact a little more.

As for the padding, it was around $35-40 a bar for the foam. A little pricey for foam, but that's because of it's special size, etc. I just installed it on my Caprice partition - fit perfectly.

Tell the guys you are restoring a car with their gear. They really were responsive to that when I called.

Setina: 1.800.426.2627

NoDrama43 09-07-2011 08:41 PM

Ryan,

I won't need any from Setina. I can get them made here for about half the price and I can pick them up myself. I may need to order the pad, but I imagine I can find it from a supplier for much less than they will be selling it for.

GSPI 09-07-2011 11:22 PM

Shipping won't be a killer either... maybe I can swing down further South when I go through Columbus...:D

FHP813 09-17-2011 04:07 PM

Car is on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item3a6a735642

It is rare in that they are built as a Mustang GT front end, and on a notchback "sedan" body.
I don't know where the seller got the Mustang GT front end reference. I've never heard that one before...

ImEvil1 09-17-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FHP813 (Post 29626)
I don't know where the seller got the Mustang GT front end reference. I've never heard that one before...

Probably the same place the rest of the dealerese came from.

NoDrama43 09-17-2011 07:27 PM

comedy..... the seller is selling the car with no reserve. Why would anyone keep bidding on the car with 9 days left in the auction?

I got to be high bidder.....

ImEvil1 09-17-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDrama43 (Post 29628)
comedy..... the seller is selling the car with no reserve. Why would anyone keep bidding on the car with 9 days left in the auction?

We've seen it before:

I got to bump the bid.....

Some people just want to win!

GSPI 09-17-2011 10:17 PM

Zero bidders always make me wonder...

Charlie 09-17-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSPI (Post 29635)
Zero bidders always make me wonder...

When you see that check back later. You may see a bid retraction. Last week a mustang went from 5K to 7K back to 5K again. Then it was taken off a few days later when no one bid

FoxChassis 09-18-2011 06:52 AM

This ISP makes four '86s that I know of (that I have verified VINs of and DSOs and data from). I wonder if the batch of 22 consecutive VINs that those four are within are all ISPs.

EXNODRAMANOTCH 09-19-2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FHP813 (Post 29626)
Car is on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item3a6a735642

It is rare in that they are built as a Mustang GT front end, and on a notchback "sedan" body.

Rare, no, as all 85-86 Mustangs body styles (excluding SVO) shared the same front end (except for the foglight openings). Maybe he is referring to the nose being the same for GTs (convert and hatch) and LXs (convert, hatch, and coupe) for 85-86 vs. 97-93, where the nose was quite different from GT to LX. More misinformation is not what this hobby needs.

NoDrama43 09-21-2011 10:03 AM

not my car

I have received a couple of calls about this car from people wondering if it is mine and if I am selling my 86 ISP car.

The seller of this car has also been asked if it is my car (question is posted on ebay ad)

so to remove any doubt or confusion:

It is not my car on ebay and I have no plans to sell any cars.

The roll bar in the car for sale is correct and was installed by ISP. There are several in-service pictures available to confirm this.

The vin on the car for sale is 251966

The vin on my car is 251972

There were 22 consecutive vins in this run starting with 251955 to 251976 (based on my research with car fax several years ago) The "vin Project" area of this site also confirms this count of consecutive vins.

These cars were built 06/27/86 to 07/02/86

ssp91ssp 09-21-2011 01:08 PM

Jim, that stinks huh...
I hope it finds a good home and the confusion comes to an end..

It's a good looking car for sure!

JMcDonald 09-22-2011 09:33 AM

My 1986 ISP SSP

Just to clear up any confusion, I am the owner and seller of the 1986 Idaho State Police SSP Mustang listed on eBay. I'm in Willoughby, OH, near Cleveland. The car is in exactly the same condition as it was when taken out of police service, no modifications whatsoever. Idaho State University took posession of the car after ISP, but they had absolutely no use for it and kept it in storage for over 20 years. The miles are 76,161, original. I have the Idaho title signed off by Idaho State University faculty. Sorry about the "GT front end" comment. You guys are rough!

28HopUp 09-22-2011 09:53 AM

Thanks for clarifying the status of your car. It may appear that some comments are "rough", but we strive for providing information on cars that is as accurate as possible while trying to avoid personal condemnations. There is also a rule here against people/businesses who try to flip cars for profit. Back when this website was established, ebay was the only serious way to sell a collector car online, but they charge for that service. So people/businesses would post their collector cars for sale on specialty websites for free. Although we want to see these SSP's end up in the right hands, the .NET staff tries to identify situations where sellers are only here for personal gain. So yes, those comments can be a bit rough, but it's done for the benefit of our members.

Regardless, I hope your ISP finds a good home!

ImEvil1 09-22-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 29708)
Thanks for clarifying the status of your car. It may appear that some comments are "rough", but we strive for providing information on cars that is as accurate as possible while trying to avoid personal condemnations. There is also a rule here against people/businesses who try to flip cars for profit. Back when this website was established, ebay was the only serious way to sell a collector car online, but they charge for that service. So people/businesses would post their collector cars for sale on specialty websites for free. Although we want to see these SSP's end up in the right hands, the .NET staff tries to identify situations where sellers are only here for personal gain. So yes, those comments can be a bit rough, but it's done for the benefit of our members.

Regardless, I hope your ISP finds a good home!

+1 to what Bill said, and I hope it finds a good home as well.

Also, I'm not sure who Brett is in relation to you, John, but a majority of the questions surrounding the car could have been avoided had he had the courtesy to respond to them in the thread he posted here, or, since you are apparently the owner, if you would have listed the car for sale here yourself.

NoDrama43 09-22-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcDonald (Post 29707)
Just to clear up any confusion, I am the owner and seller of the 1986 Idaho State Police SSP Mustang listed on eBay. I'm in Willoughby, OH, near Cleveland. The car is in exactly the same condition as it was when taken out of police service, no modifications whatsoever. Idaho State University took posession of the car after ISP, but they had absolutely no use for it and kept it in storage for over 20 years. The miles are 76,161, original. I have the Idaho title signed off by Idaho State University faculty. Sorry about the "GT front end" comment. You guys are rough!

Hello John, thanks for joining and welcome to our forum. I enjoyed talking with you yesterday about the car. It is a rare find, especially with the mileage. I will pm you my email address so you can send me the pictures we spoke about. Good luck with the sale. I believe it will do well.

gixxer1 09-22-2011 12:51 PM

I like this one, but i dont have any more room...:(

MOstang 09-22-2011 04:44 PM

I hope this one finds a great home as well...what a great start. :cool:

GSPI 09-22-2011 05:20 PM

So, John, Brett, Ron too I assume?

There are a few of you guys there in Willoughby that are tied together with the patrol car refurb group.

Nice car and starting point. For the sake of the hobby, I also hope it is going to a good home.

Before you get rid of the car, would you mind telling me what the number is on the label on dash panel? Would be nice to know the ISP property number for research.

NoDrama43 09-22-2011 06:43 PM

post up a pic of the dash label. I have never seen how ISP marked their units.

GSPI 09-22-2011 11:38 PM

There are only two identifiers on an ISP Mustang according to my research with ISP,

1. On the dash there was a Dymo label like in the eBay ISP Mustang photos:

http://images107.fotki.com/v780/phot...0_3Mark-vi.jpg

2. The other is the license plate with an ISP 3 digit number which is a direct plate assignment for the trooper. Trooper takes the plate off and goes with him or her if they get assigned a different vehicle. As seen on one of the site photos:

http://images57.fotki.com/v221/photo...SSPMark-vi.jpg

So any of these cars have to have the property number on them for verification of service and who was assigned to the vehicle for now according to ISP as all their fleet records have been destroyed as have these labels since they are to be removed before auction. I, however, will not give up and will try to find another way for those without the labels.

NoDrama43 09-23-2011 07:48 PM

i guess the car sold? it is no longer for sale...