Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Show Info (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2014 CHP Academy Car Show (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5448)

John T 03-09-2014 01:09 PM

2014 CHP Academy Car Show

Some may already be aware but on Friday Sept 26 the CHP Academy will be hosting Retirees Day This years theme will the history of the patrol's vehicles. Those who have attended in the past have received invitations to bring their CHP themed cars and motorcycles and were asked to pass on this information to other owners. The CHP's television unit will also be producing a documentary about the history of CHP vehicles. Should be a great time

nighthawk756 03-09-2014 09:29 PM

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity for those with CHPs! Make sure to post pics!!

cbrajt1 03-24-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John T (Post 44783)
Some may already be aware but on Friday Sept 26 the CHP Academy will be hosting Retirees Day This years theme will the history of the patrol's vehicles. Those who have attended in the past have received invitations to bring their CHP themed cars and motorcycles and were asked to pass on this information to other owners. The CHP's television unit will also be producing a documentary about the history of CHP vehicles. Should be a great time

John T, how does one CHP owner get on the list for updates and such ?

John10608 03-24-2014 09:59 PM

Well, you have until September, so I wouldn't get too worried right yet. Retiree's day is Sept 26th.
So there won't be too much up dating until it gets closer to that date.
Then I am sure we'll post up something as we hear it.

John T will get the info before I will. Even as a retiree, we're out of the loop so to speak lol

They are looking for restored CHP vehicles for display on Retiree's Day.
They are contacting those individuals now.
I guess all of the vehicles will be doing a parade lap around the EVOC track also.

2012 Retiree's Day, I did 3 parade laps on the EVOC track in my SSP, but my laps were 100+ tee heee Mike C got to do the same lol I GoProed the laps. It was a blast !

Kevin 03-25-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrajt1 (Post 45042)
John T, how does one CHP owner get on the list for updates and such ?

PM your contact information to me and I'll pass it on. I've been working with the organizer and have supplied him with the names of those who have received invitations so far.

While the cars are going to be a big part of this years event the primary emphasis is still to recognize those men and women who have served the CHP.

cbrajt1 03-25-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John10608 (Post 45066)
Well, you have until September, so I wouldn't get too worried right yet. Retiree's day is Sept 26th.
So there won't be too much up dating until it gets closer to that date.
Then I am sure we'll post up something as we hear it.

John T will get the info before I will. Even as a retiree, we're out of the loop so to speak lol

They are looking for restored CHP vehicles for display on Retiree's Day.
They are contacting those individuals now.
I guess all of the vehicles will be doing a parade lap around the EVOC track also.

2012 Retiree's Day, I did 3 parade laps on the EVOC track in my SSP, but my laps were 100+ tee heee Mike C got to do the same lol I GoProed the laps. It was a blast !

wow sounds like a great day, and is it every year, every other, every now and then ?

Kevin 03-25-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrajt1 (Post 45079)
wow sounds like a great day, and is it every year, every other, every now and then ?

Retiree's day is every other year in September.

For anyone attending retirees day, the Ripon show is the following weekend, Saturday 10/5 and is less than an hour away. There's plenty to do for the week in Northern California if anyone wants to make a vacation out of it.

Anyone who has registered at previous Ripon shows has been included in the mailing list.

Rhino 03-26-2014 12:39 AM

Am hoping to have the 92 Camaro done to bring down. Well...done enough to show it. :)

Have already been in conversations with the Capt. heading it up for an invite/get on the list.

Besides...someone has to go down to keep John on his toes. :)

John10608 03-26-2014 01:39 PM

ha ha You talking with James Newberry ? He's a volunteer I believe for the CHP. He's in charge of contacting anyone that owns a restored CHP vehicle to try to get the car to Retiree's Day.

Throw some decals on the car, the light bar, attach what you can inside makeshift that looks correct to just get it to the show ! Then go back and redo it correctly.
Everyone is just going to look in the windows is all. Ask loads of questions, just tell them you are still in the process of restoring it.
Nothing has to work, just look good and be able to drive it.

Just hold your head out the window and and make sounds like a siren when we do the parade lap around the EVOC track LOLOLOLOL

cbrajt1 03-26-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 45080)
Retiree's day is every other year in September.

For anyone attending retirees day, the Ripon show is the following weekend, Saturday 10/5 and is less than an hour away. There's plenty to do for the week in Northern California if anyone wants to make a vacation out of it.

Anyone who has registered at previous Ripon shows has been included in the mailing list.

sounds like in 2016 I'll be there on holidays and stay for both shows, thanks for the info

Rhino 03-26-2014 08:36 PM

John - yes, that's him. I thought his signature said "Captain" - either way...I am working to get her there. I need to lay down some rubber on the track and let John T drool over it again (last time he saw the car was 20 years back). :D

Kevin 03-26-2014 09:12 PM

James Newberry is a volunteer and his rank is Captain- basically he oversees the volunteer program in the state.
He has put an incredible effort into this event, in the past retirees day was run by a revolving door of sworn personnel who didn't put the effort into getting old cars involved.

28HopUp 05-22-2014 12:16 PM

Let me toss this out there for discussion -

Would there be an opportunity during this show to make contact with the person at Motor Transport who is responsible for holding the CHP Assignment Cards? It would be great if someone could establish contact with them in the hope of getting access to the remaining cards for the CHP Mustangs of that era (assuming the cards have not been destroyed). Although we have had limited success in the past in obtaining the actual cards, that has not been the case for a while now. It may be unlikely that they would permanently release the cards to someone in our SSP community (but perhaps possible). However, if somebody would be allowed access to sort through them, make copies, and return them to the CHP, it would be a huge benefit to our hobby. Thoughts?

chp1982 05-22-2014 01:58 PM

Great idea, Bill. Along similar lines, I would like to put some sort of feelers out there for active and retired officers that drove our CHP cars in service. I ran into a brick wall with the Rohnert Park office where my car was based out of.

Is there a CHP publication that I could place a wanted ad in? Any and all ideas welcome!

NoDrama43 05-23-2014 11:11 PM

did our original contact regarding the assignment cards retire?

28HopUp 05-24-2014 07:29 AM

No, as far as I know Robert still works at MT. The problem was that there had been a change in management and policy regarding the cards, and access to them dried up.

MOstang 05-24-2014 11:23 AM

I read few weeks back on facebook person indicated recently obtained his from the contact referred above. Forget which page I read that on and they didn't use a specific date, just wrote recently obtained.

John10608 05-26-2014 03:03 PM

Robert is a pretty busy guy !
I know he got into drag racing or something like that when I saw him at Ripon last year. So he is busy with that.

I have asked him about the cards. He knows there are a few of us that will help him go through them if needed.
The supervisor there is tough to deal with apparently. But things do happen.

I'll talk to him again and see what can be done. I don't think the cards are at Fleet Services. I believe they are in the hands of someone else that saved them from being destroyed by FS.
So it is time on 2 parties that keep the cards from happening.

I'll see what I can find out when I see him.

John T 06-07-2014 09:47 AM

Motor Transport

To all,

I've been working with the people here at the Academy HQ and Fleet Ops(Motor Transport) for a month now and they've been great. The Capt over here is a gear head of the first sort and is the son of a retired Lt. He remembers moving his dads take home Mustang and shared the story with me. The issue with information is we've computerized over the years and didn't bother to save a lot of info. I see Robert Reed all the time and maybe he was able to squirrel away the old index cards but I wouldn't count on it. I checked with a guy who can check the computers and the records don't go back very far on the computer. He checked but was unable to help.

Going through archives I did find originals of the actual study (large) and report of the 82 mustang (after it went into service) and some photos of mustangs on the Assembly line at Motor Transport, some staged CHP professional shots of 82,85,87, and 1989's and various shots of Mustangs shot throughout the state while in service. No rhyme or reason to the filing system just happened to come across them. By dumb luck I even found a photo of mine when an Officer left the negatives he took when he posed it next to a retired sr-71 at an Air museum !
When I get back home in July I will share whatever info I've gathered
JT

nighthawk756 06-07-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John T (Post 46500)
To all,

I've been working with the people here at the Academy HQ and Fleet Ops(Motor Transport) for a month now and they've been great. The Capt over here is a gear head of the first sort and is the son of a retired Lt. He remembers moving his dads take home Mustang and shared the story with me. The issue with information is we've computerized over the years and didn't bother to save a lot of info. I see Robert Reed all the time and maybe he was able to squirrel away the old index cards but I wouldn't count on it. I checked with a guy who can check the computers and the records don't go back very far on the computer. He checked but was unable to help.

Going through archives I did find originals of the actual study (large) and report of the 82 mustang (after it went into service) and some photos of mustangs on the Assembly line at Motor Transport, some staged CHP professional shots of 82,85,87, and 1989's and various shots of Mustangs shot throughout the state while in service. No rhyme or reason to the filing system just happened to come across them. By dumb luck I even found a photo of mine when an Officer left the negatives he took when he posed it next to a retired sr-71 at an Air museum !
When I get back home in July I will share whatever info I've gathered
JT

Thanks for trying John! Maybe the cards will turn up.

Those extra pics and the report would be great to see! Can't wait and thanks for sharing!

28HopUp 06-11-2014 04:32 PM

John, thank you for your update. I look forward to seeing anything you can turn up.

In terms of the Assignment Cards, I have been under the impression that there were only 2 remaining boxes of cards packed into the office closet of the officer in charge. That was a couple of years ago, so who knows their status now???

John T 06-11-2014 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spoke to Robert today. He stated at this time he does not where the card file is. If he ever comes back across it, he will help.

28HopUp 09-04-2014 12:58 PM

This event is about 3 weeks away. Wish I could attend but I am otherwise obligated (in a good way, mind you!). I hope everyone has a great time (and really hoping that someone can make some headway on finding/accessing the Assignment Cards). ;)

John10608 09-04-2014 09:44 PM

Bill, I'll talk with Robert if I see him there. He is usually there walking around assisting etc.

I'll see if there is anything we can do to help him out or what is going on with them.
I already have it on my list of things to do and accomplish while I am down there.

Will post my findings when I return
John

28HopUp 09-04-2014 10:31 PM

Sounds good - thanks John!

mac88chp 09-27-2014 04:53 PM

Despite hitting some nasty thunderstorms on the way home, I had a great time at the event which came off quite well. There was a big turn out of Mustangs, eleven in all, easily made them the most prolific model represented. The roster included:

1982 - Harold T.
1986 - Mike D.
1988 - Mike C.
1988 - Kevin M.
1989 - John T.
1989 - Gary M.
1992 - John S.
1992 - John P.
1993 - Jack G.
1993 - Eric G.
1993 - John B.

The Museum's 1992 was on the grounds but not on the show field. Unsure of what it's current condition status is, might not be presentable any longer after losing it's indoor storage. (Grrrrrrr....)

All my photos here: http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/c...014/page3.html

http://images15.fotki.com/v587/photo...SC06252-vi.jpg

http://images16.fotki.com/v388/photo...SC06327-vi.jpg

http://images16.fotki.com/v301/photo...SC06268-vi.jpg

http://images14.fotki.com/v219/photo...SC06326-vi.jpg

http://images14.fotki.com/v218/photo...SC06278-vi.jpg

Unmrkd 09-27-2014 05:38 PM

Great pictures Michael! I always enjoy seeing all the Mustangs and of course that Oldsmobile with the aircraft carrier size hood & trunk. Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

MOstang 09-27-2014 06:32 PM

Cool cars and thanks for representing the hobby. Was the SMPV in attendance? I didn't notice in the pics, but may have overlooked.

nastie85gt 09-27-2014 09:38 PM

very nice pictures

wisah there was more ssp cars in my area

mac88chp 09-27-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOstang (Post 47914)
Cool cars and thanks for representing the hobby. Was the SMPV in attendance? I didn't notice in the pics, but may have overlooked.

No SMPV there but I got a call from Rich C. while I was at the Academy and he tells me both he with his car and Ken F. with his newly completed SMPV WILL be rolling to Ripon next week. I'm sensing this will be a big year for SSPs at the show! :cool: :2thumbs:

MOstang 09-27-2014 10:36 PM

:thumbsup:

Rhino 09-27-2014 10:55 PM

Awesome - thanks for posting up the pics! Looks like a nice turnout.

John10608 09-28-2014 12:45 AM

6 Attachment(s)
The last EVOC Demonstration was the best ! Even the EVOC Sgt. Johnson stated it was the best show of the day LOL

I have to admit, it was very impressive !

As the first EVOC Charger was coming into the pits infront of the grand stands after the show, he did an impressive NASCAR winner's burn out !

Better than Jimmy Johnson could do !!! lolol
As you can see from the tire smoke !! The R/Rear blew, sounded like a gun shot. A piece of the R/Rear tire went airborne about 30 feet ! LOL
At the same time the engine over heated and stopped running.
As you can see from the picture the second car starts pushing him into the pit area.
The last photos show the damage from the tire. The grand stands were loud with clapping, whistles and yelling ! It was an awesome show !

I'll try to post a couple other pictures, but Mike C. always does an exceptional job of posting great pictures of the shows !
It was a fun time !

John10608 09-28-2014 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
CHP # 9067 Jim Young's former car sold to CHP Officer in the Stockton office. Very clean car ! Jim did a great job restoring this SSP.
The engine compartment looks like it just came off of the show room floor !

mac88chp 09-28-2014 11:03 AM

Ha, yeah I've seen a few of those pit lane burnouts but nothing like the one on Friday!

The burnout:

http://images14.fotki.com/v219/photo...hoto269-vi.jpg

The aftermath:

http://images60.fotki.com/v367/photo...hoto266-vi.jpg

http://images20.fotki.com/v685/photo...hoto265-vi.jpg

Coolant boiling in the recovery tank:
http://images14.fotki.com/v218/photo...SC06321-vi.jpg

Blown out bumper cover with paint damage:
http://images16.fotki.com/v363/photo...SC06322-vi.jpg

Judging from more than a few reactions I observed afterwards, me thinks that driver may have gone just a tad too far with that piece of "taxpayers" equipment in front of a public audience. LOL

mac88chp 09-28-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John10608 (Post 47924)
CHP # 9067 Jim Young's former car sold to CHP Officer in the Stockton office. Very clean car ! Jim did a great job restoring this SSP.
The engine compartment looks like it just came off of the show room floor !

I never got to inspect any of the underhood, interior or trunk areas at Sac, the car was locked up tight the whole time. But the owner is finally bringing it to Ripon this week where I'll really be able to get a long awaited closer look-see.

I do think the car is screaming for some correct trunk scripts. :yes:

E435300_SMPV 09-28-2014 11:23 AM

Great pics of the show! Wish I could have made it. Looks like the Chargers were impressive. :)