Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustang Tech (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HVAC controls - 1982 (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3275)

NoDrama43 07-02-2011 10:22 AM

The heater box on my 90 Colorado car has a huge crack and was ductaped the same way. Another member here had an extra one out of a low mile car for me to put back in it. I would not worry about a repair unless you know it will last forever. You only want to do this one time.

ImEvil1 07-02-2011 10:42 AM

It's just the top that's cracked, right?

Wolfe1013 07-02-2011 01:40 PM

I believe it's just the top. I wasn't sure how it was constructed, so I've been doing some homework and through the years, they look similar. Is that just a lid that covers the heater core? Are there more than the two screws I can see?

I was afraid I would have to replace the entire box assembly but it does look much simpler than that now.

ImEvil1 07-02-2011 01:52 PM

Yep...just the top. Can't remember the number, it's been 1996 since I did my last one.

Wolfe1013 07-02-2011 02:02 PM

Oh, btw, I will be needing a replacement switch control box if I can't find some way to anchor those individual switches to the unit. Tabs are broke off and that's why the fan selector level was wobbly. I'll be trying to restore this one while looking for a matching replacement.

Anybody got one? Oh yeah, how do the knobs come off. Don't want to break them!! I'm learning to ask MORE questions before tugging. LOL

ImEvil1 07-03-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 (Post 27288)
Oh, btw, I will be needing a replacement switch control box if I can't find some way to anchor those individual switches to the unit. Tabs are broke off and that's why the fan selector level was wobbly. I'll be trying to restore this one while looking for a matching replacement.

Anybody got one? Oh yeah, how do the knobs come off. Don't want to break them!! I'm learning to ask MORE questions before tugging. LOL

They just pull off.

Wolfe1013 07-04-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 27322)
They just pull off.

Well, actually, I found in one of my manuals to put a flat screw driver on the back side of the knob and pull toward you - there's a metal spring catch that holds them on. :)

With all the research I've done, I've decided that one of the previous owners or mechanics just cut the lid over the heater core instead of removing a couple screws to allow the whole box to drop enough to properly get the lid off. From what I've seen there are a total of 5 screws that hold that lid on.

So, the duct tape I found was just to seal that crack where they cut the lid. I'll remove that piece and take a peek at the heater core, hopefully tomorrow. Was out of town until late tonight, so I didn't have a chance to look closer yet.

NELSON 07-05-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 (Post 27288)

My dad has the heater/AC box and the control out of a 83. You can contact him over on .ORG Just PM him 85kyssp

ImEvil1 07-05-2011 12:04 AM

Right...it's just a friction fit.

Sad that they hacked it up, but another lid should be pretty easy to find.

Wolfe1013 07-05-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NELSON (Post 27359)
My dad has the heater/AC box and the control out of a 83. You can contact him over on .ORG Just PM him 85kyssp

Thanks!!